Saturday, August 30, 2008

What Does a Domestic Worker Sound Like?

In my desperate search for an apartment, I called up a guy who rents out small studio apartments. The guy asked me a few questions, like if I was Asian or European. I told him I was American but of Filipino descent. He then proceeded to ask me, "Are you a domestic worker?" I wanted to answer, "Do I sound like a domestic worker?" Instead I told him I was interning at TIME Asia for three months. His tone of voice changed immediately. Did he ask me that just because I said I was Filipino?

UPDATE: This guy said he moonlighted as a rental agent and that he is a police man! I was warned by somebody who used to work in Hong Kong as a correspondent for The Washington Post that Hong Kong Chinese are racist towards Filipinos because they do all the low class work, and that they often get stopped on the street by the police and asked for their IDs. I wonder if this guy stops Filipinos on the street!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

wow, I hope you went with another agent. he doesnt deserve your business. Love lots! Lynette